Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Bellringing?
- What is this ‘Touches’ Collection?
- What (or who) inspired this collection?
- How do touches get added to this collection?
- Where do most of the touches come from?
- What about Truth?
1. What is Bellringing?
It is not my intention to describe bellringing here, as others already have. For more information about bellringing, see these links:
2. What is this ‘Touches’ Collection?
This is a collection of touches for bellringers. If you’re not a bellringer (or change ringer, or whatever you want to call it), it probably won’t be very meaningful to you - see the first question
3. What (or who) inspired this collection?
This collection has been partially inspired by Don Morrison’s Quarter Peal Collection.
As a conductor, I like to call the standard touches, but I also like to have a bit of variety occasionally. Hence the aim of this collection is to provide a source for conductors (and bob callers) to exchange and find touches that are different from the normal diary touches.
4. How do touches get added to this collection?
The only way in which this will continue and grow, is if you submit your touches, that you have made up, or that have been passed on to you.
Find out how to submit touches here
5. Where do most of the touches come from?
You! Without your own compositions, this collection would not be possible.
However, to start the collection I have included touches from past Ringing World Diaries, that are no longer in the latest one.
I’ve decided not to specifically put credit to most of the touches, as most of them are normally passed on down the generations, and so to find the original composer would probably be quite hard.
6. What about Truth?
As a guideline for any of you who are worried about truth, I am now including the following symbols after the number of changes in a touch. If you are really concerned, I suggest you check for yourself.
- * - the touch has been checked and is true.
- F - the touch is known to be false.
- nothing - the touch has not been checked.